Here’s an outstanding overview of best practices in STEM from MiddleWeb.
Criteria for STEM Programs
1. Focus on integrating science, technology, engineering, preferably all four, although true integration of even two would be an acceptable step toward STEM.
2. Focus on a real-world problem or engineering challenge.
3. Use Inquiry-based, student-centered learning approaches.
4. Engage students in using an engineering design process that leads to developing a product or process to solve the engineering challenge.
5. Emphasize teamwork and communication.
6. Build rich content knowledge of science and mathematics.
Read the full article here: http://www.middleweb.com/20054/stem-2015-losing-focus/